Popular Posts

Friday, February 1, 2013

Having fun with Niecey Roy!



I’m very pleased to have Niecey Roy as my guest today. Learn a little more about her and her fascinating new release Fender Bender Blues!

What did you see, hear or dream that inspired your book?
Fender Bender Blues was inspired by my very own little fender bender. I was huge and pregnant and, well, crabby. As I was leaving a parking lot, a big truck backed into my front bumper. I got out to rip some major butt and out stepped a super hot guy who handed me his insurance information. He was adorably apologetic. I couldn’t stay mad. Ha! The idea of Fender Bender Blues was born, but I put my own spin on it.

It’s always cool when you can put a complete spin on something that happened in life to make your stories strong and compelling.


Which one of your main characters came across strongest to you?
Rach. I really connected with her. A lot of the frustrations she felt through the book was something I felt myself at one time. Just trying to find my place in the adult world and not having a great time of it!

I think growing up and having responsibilities that you never expected is one of the harshest of life’s lessons. But look what blessings they turn into!

How long did it take you to fall in love with your Hero/Heroine?
Oh, it didn’t take no time at all. I loved them the moment I brought them to life on paper!

Did you borrow certain traits for your characters from someone you know personally?  Which ones?
There’s a lot of me in Rach. Definitely. But her dad is a special character for me, as well. He kind of reminds me of my dad J

Sounds like family is a strong bond for you! No doubt your dad is a great role model!

Is this book a single category or can we expect to see more of your characters in a series?
Well, now J It’s a single-title, but there’s a character in this book I’d like to make a reappearance in another book. His name is William. Even my critique partner loved him. There was a scene with him that I had to edit out, and I’m still very sad about losing that scene. Anyway, I’m guessing he’s going to show up sometime.

I think it’s funny how other characters in what was supposed to be a single book decide they want their turn. 

What is your most difficult “no-no” when you write? (Show vs. tell, dialogue, plot problems, passive voice, etc.)
I use a lot of dialogue tags. I wouldn’t ever have noticed them if not for my amazing editor. She pointed it out and I worked like mad to get the unnecessary ones (which were a lot) out of the manuscript.

When you take a break from writing, what do you do to allow your brain time to regroup?
I don’t get much time to write, so I don’t take much time away from it, ha! I work two jobs, plus have little kids and a husband who works rotating shifts. I spend every spare moment either reading or writing.

Sounds like you have a very busy life.

Would you consider yourself a plotter or a pantser?
I always thought I was a panster because I kind of sit down and start writing... But then as soon as I get a decent grasp on the MC, I notice I get the paper and pen out and start plotting out scenes as I see them unfolding. I actually stick close to what I write down, and when I visualize it, it’s almost like seeing a movie play out.

In one sentence, tell us what your book is about.
How about three?
Her life took a wrong turn. He's driven by success. They didn't count on crashing into love...

What is your one “guilty” pleasure?
Pizza. I LOVE pizza. And Rach from Fender Bender Blues does, too J

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love pizza! I know I certainly do!




FENDER BENDER BLUES
Her life took a wrong turn. He's driven by success. They didn't count on crashing into love...

Rachel Bennett loved her job until the day she finds herself doubting her choices.  Now she's hunting for a new career, but starting over isn't easy.  Her plan is simple—no distractions until she finds her dream job.  She didn't plan on fate throwing her a curveball in the form of a fender bender with a sexy guy in an expensive suit.

Craig Larsen is a wealthy, successful business owner with a plan of his own: survive his current PR nightmare and stay away from his overly determined ex-girlfriend.  His need for control and personal success is turned upside down when he meets Rach, a sassy redhead who can't drive.

Soon they find themselves battling with Rach's grumpy old neighbor, toilet-papering the trees of a high school nemesis, and fighting over the last slice of pizza.  Can two very different people plus one fender bender equal a chance at forever?

EXCERPT:


       “Now what?”

       “Nothing.”Rach sniffed.

       Craig shifted to eye her warily. “Since when do you answer me with single words?”

       “Since I decided I’m not talking to you,” she answered with a shrug, crumpling up the white paper wrapper from her sub.  

       Craig leaned his face in close to her neck and enjoyed the startled jerk of her shoulders. Her eyes opened wide in surprise. His breath shifted a few strands of hair at the nape of her neck as he whispered, “Why, because you want me?”

       “You’re incorrigible,” she said, breathless, her cheeks flushed.

       She’s enjoying this. The thought pleased him. Rach was on her back beside him now, her eyes closed. He glanced around the park to see if anyone was watching. No one was. He could swoop in for a kiss and no one would catch him. No one would care, he told himself. She won’t mind

        “I can feel you staring.”

        Craig smiled down at her. “So what.”

        She peeked at him with one green eye. “So stop it.”

       “And if I don’t?” Maybe she’d tackle him, push him down on the blanket and…

She didn’t. She promptly closed her eye and went back to pretending indifference. “I’ll hit you, that’s what.”

       “Not if I do this, you won’t.”

       He’d only meant it to be a short kiss, but the pleasure of touching his lips to hers kept him there longer. Her tongue was velvet soft and warm against his and the slow mating of their mouths quickened his heartbeat even as he told himself, It’s no big deal, just a kiss.

       She nipped his bottom lip and sent heat sliding through his body. The woman could kiss.

       She whispered soft against his lips, “Now why don’t you admit that it’s you who wants me.”



PURCHASE Fender Bender Blues at Amazon by clicking  Here
            ADD Fender Bender Blues to your Goodreads bookshelf by clicking  Here
VISIT Niecey’s website at www.nieceyroy.com
Check out Niecey’s BLOG http://www.nieceyroy.com/blog/
On Twitter??? Follow Niecey on Twitter @NieceyRoy  https://twitter.com/NieceyRoy

Feel like tweeting Fender Bender Blues??? Copy and paste this tweet: #romcom Her life took a wrong turn. He's driven by success. They didn't count on crashing into love. #FenderBenderBlues http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5L71YQ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_alp_8LYbrb03GJ0HS


31 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me Lisa! It's going to be so much fun today. I have an idea. For anyone who posts a comment on this blog AND over at the other blog hosting me today (a piggy-back of blogs) I'll gift them (via Amazon) a copy of How Hard Can It Be? a novel I'm currently reading and laughing my butt off over! Just a thought! And thanks everyone in advance for stopping by!

    http://donnasturgeon.wordpress.com/2013/02/01/welcome-niecey-roy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE pizza in our house. It's my husband's absolute favorite food, so we have it every Friday night. lol

    I love discovering the inspiration behind the book. What a brilliant story, Niecey! Terrific interview! This one's on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne :) Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever tired of pizza. Especially when we throw one in the oven (aka cardboard pizza) and it tastes like...yuck. But then I think about it the next day and all is right in the world once again :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Niecey! I'm sorry you're lonely today!! I think your book sounds absolutely delicious and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! Congrats on your release and here's to a boatload of sales, hon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks AJ :) I am hoping this book does well, as I spent A LOT of time with it before being offered a home for it with Wild Rose Press :) Feverishly working on the next one so Fender Bender Blues doesn't get lonely my Books tab on my website :) Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how those real-life experiences take on a life of their own in your imagination! Where would we be without them? Wishing you ots of luck and lots of sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa :) I am having fun drawing inspiration for all the little experiences and putting them into a story.

      Delete
  6. Niecey,
    I received Fender Bender Blues, the one I won back before it was out and can't wait to read it. Happy Sales to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a fun guest post on Authors by Moonlight back in October! I hope you enjoy Fender Bender Blues as much I enjoyed writing it :)

      Delete
  7. Love the tagline. I also can't drive well, lol. Half the time I'm making up a plot in my head and I wind up missing an exit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never like to admit I'm a bad driver...but usually I can't stop with the lead foot and end up missing a turn or an exit, as well, ha! Thanks for stopping by, Kathryn :)

      Delete
  8. Niecey, you are adorable!
    And I can't picture you crabby, even pregnant.
    What a great premise for a terrific story! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mary, I can be a real crabby jerk sometimes, ha! But I swear, when I got out of my car, I was going to let that man have it. But I just couldn't be mean to those eyes ;)

      Delete
  9. Very cute interview, girls. I love pizza too, but my fave is tacos. :) Hoping to read this one. I just remembered I HAVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMMmmm tacos! The best is homemade tacos at home because I can stuff my face with as many as I want. I'm a hard shell kind of girl :)

      Delete
  10. I'm finally glad you're/we're getting some company here. I thought this old blog would never get traffic. Hopefully, hosting more of you wonderful ladies will be a dream that comes to fruition. Niecey, you're great at the marketing bit, too. It looks like you're having fun. Glad to see it going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've need more time to read such great reads!! Wonderful interview, Lisa! And I loved hearing how this story came into being, Niecey :) I can just imagine the hot guy getting out of his car, seeing your initial look, and then going on the charm offensive. Hehehe - I wonder what he'd think if he knew he's inspired a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there is a way to figure out who he was... I don't have that car anymore or the same insurance company, ha! But it would be funny to let him know he inspired a romance novel. Of course, he wasn't nearly as gorgeous as my husband, but his excessive apologies coupled with the blue eyes did make me think what if two people met this way and fell in love... It was a fun book to write :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Niecey,
    Ooh, now your talking my language, I love Tacos too.
    Fender Bender Blues is a wonderful title, sounds like a great read.

    cheers

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for having me, Lisa :) I was going to cry if nobody stopped by, ha! Thank you, ladies, for giving me some company today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love the story behind your story, Niecey. Nothing like a hot, humble guy to take the crabby right out of a girl. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was like he planned to be adorably apologetic the moment his truck bashed up my bumper. I feel like I got played, ha!

      Delete
  15. Loved the book! Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! And thanks for reading Fender Bender Blues :) I'm working on the next one and I can't wait to share it with everyone :)

      Delete
  16. We're pizza fans, too! What's not to like. lol

    I love the inspiration behind the book! I'm sorry you had to be hit by a car to come up with it. lol

    I wish you the best success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! You know what's funny? I was hoping the guy smashing up my bumper would mean the insurance company would total my car and give me a big hefty check so I could get a new car... Um, that didn't happen! I was bummed, ha!

      Delete
  17. My daughter just drew a name out of the hat, and the winner of How Hard Can It Be? was Mac! Congrats :)

    And thank you for stopping by, everyone. I'm really happy you all came by to see me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still love the concept of your book, Niecey! Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview, Niecey. I love your three sentence description of your book. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete